Peper torkari ( raw papaya curry)
Hello friends and fellows! Welcome back to my space Dish Of Delight once again!
Today I am sharing a healthy curry recipe which I make with raw papaya and potatoes along with split yellow pea lentils fritters. It goes very well with rice or roti.
So, lets take a look at the recipe for raw papaya curry with split yellow pea lentil fritters
Raw papaya 1 small sized, cut into small cubes
Potatoes 2 medium sized, cut into small cubes
Split yellow pea lentils 2/3rd cup soaked overnight
Ginger paste 1 tsp + 1/2 tbsp
Green chilli paste 1 tsp + ½ tbsp
Bay leaf 1
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Black cumin or kalonji 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 + 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli powder ½ + 1 tsp
Cumin powder ½ tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Sugar as per taste
Ghee 1 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp + enough to deep fry the fritters
• Grind the soaked lentils to make a paste of coarse texture without adding water.
• Mix lentils paste along with 1 tsp each of ginger and green chilli paste, ½ tsp each of turmeric and red chilli powder, kalonji and salt as per taste in a mixing bowl
• Heat enough oil in a kadhai at medium high flames. Once the oil gets heated, take small portions of the lentils mixture and gently drop in the oil and fry these until they turns golden brown in colour.
• Once all the fritters get fried, strain them out from the oil and keep aside
• In another kadhai, heat the remaining oil at medium high flames. Once heated, lower the flames to medium low and temper it with bay leaf and cumin seeds
• Add the papaya and potato pieces into it and stir and fry for about 1 minute.
• Add the remaining ginger and green chilli paste. Stir and mix well with the veggies and cook until the raw smell of the ginger and green chilli disappears.
• Add the remaining turmeric and red chilli powder, cumin powder, salt as per taste and 1 or 2 tbsp of warm water and mix all the ingredients well.
• Keep roasting the veggies along with the spices until oil starts separating from the spices.
• At this stage, add 1 cup or about 240ml of hot water and mix well. Once the water starts boiling, stir well and cover. Cook it at medium to low flames for 10 to 12 minutes.
• After 10 minutes, Open cover and add the sugar as per taste and mix well. Do not let the gravy to dry up much as the fritters will soak in some juices from the gravy.
• Add the fritters and gently mix with the curry. Reduce the flames to minimum and cover and cook for ½ a minute
• Open cover add the ghee and garam masala powder and mix well. Switch off the flames and allow the curry to rest a little
• Papaya with split yellow pea lentils curry is ready to be served.