Fulkopi Kosha ( cauliflower roast )
Hello friends! Welcome back to my space Dish Of Delight once again!
I am back with the recipe of another Bengali veg dish today. Fulkopi kosha or cauliflower roast is a dry cauliflower curry which is quite popular among the Bengalis.
Let’s check the recipe for Bengali style cauliflower roast.
Cauliflower 1 medium sized, cut into medium florets
Green peas 1/2 a cup
Tomato 1 medium sized, chopped
Green chillies 4 or 5
Ginger 1” piece, roughly chopped
Curd 2 tbsp
Poppy seeds 1and 1/2 tbsp soaked in a tbsp of warm water for about 15 minutes
Cashew nuts 4 or 5
Whole dry red chilli 1
Cinnamon 1” stick
Cardamom 4 or 5
Black cardamom 1
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 + 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt and sugar as per taste
Ghee 1 tsp
Oil 4 +2 tbsp
- Take 2 cups of water in a saucepan, add the cauliflower florets and set the pan on high flames.
- Once water starts boiling, switch off the flames and strain out the florets from water and keep aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a kadhai at medium high flames. Once heated, add the cauliflower florets, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, mix well and fry these until golden brown spots appear on the florets
- Now take out the fried cauliflower florets from the kadhai and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil in the same kadhai and heat. Temper the oil with whole spices and then add chopped tomatoes. Stir and cook the tomatoes until they turn mushy.
- While the tomatoes are being cooked, grind the ginger and green chillies along with a little water to make a fine paste.
- One the tomatoes get cooked well, add the ginger-chilli paste and sauté until it’s raw smell disappears.
- Add the powder spices except garam masala powder, 1 tbsp of water and mix well with the other ingredients. Roast the spices for about 1/2 a minute.
- While the spices are getting roasted, grind the poppy seeds, cashews along with the soaking water to make a fine paste. In a small bowl, take curd, salt, sugar and 1/2 tbsp of water and mix well
- Once oil starts separating from the spices, reduce flame to minimum, add curd mixture, poppy cashew paste and mix well with the other spices.
- Add green peas and mix well with the roasting spices. Stir and cook for a minute and then add 1/2 a cup of warm water and mix well. Cover and cook the gravy for a minute.
- Now open cover and add the cauliflower florets and mix well with the gravy. Agin cover and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes at minimum flames.
- Open cover, add ghee and garam masala, mix well and the cover.
- Switch off the flames and allow the curry to rest for sometime.
- Serve cauliflower flower roast with any dish of your choice.