Aloo matar paneer curry ( cottage cheese with green peas and potato curry )
Hello friends! Wish you all a very happy Makar Sankranti, popular as Poush Sankranti among Bengali. Welcome back to my space Dish Of Delight once again.
Paneer or cottage cheese is one of the favourite food amongst the vegetarians. It is my favourite too. Today I am sharing a paneer recipe in which I have used baby potatoes and green peas as the other ingredients. New baby potatoes especially available during the winters, is one of my favourite ingredient and I include these in many of my winter special recipes. Now let’s move to the main recipe.
Paneer or cottage cheese 200 gm
Baby potatoes 200 or 250 gm, boiled to 4 whistle at high flames and peeled
Green peas 1 medium cup
Tomato 1 and 1/2 of medium sized, chopped
Ginger paste 1 tbsp
Green chilli paste 1/2 tbsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 + 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 + 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Bay leaf 1 big or 2 small
Dry red chilli 1
Cinnamon 1” stick
Cloves 4 or 5
Salt as per taste
Sugar as per taste
Ghee 1 tsp
Oil 2 + 2 tbsp
- In a kadhai, heat 2 cups of water, add 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder and about a tsp of salt and mix well. Bring the water to a boil
- while the water is getting heated, cut the paneer into 1” cubes. Once the water starts boiling, add the paneer cubes into the boiling water one by one, gently stir these for few seconds and switch off the flames
- Remove the paneer cubes and set aside.
- heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai at medium high flames. Once heated add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and stir a little. Add the potatoes and fry until these become golden colour.
- Remove the potatoes from the kadhai and keep aside. In the same kadhai, add the remaining oil and temper it with the whole spices.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and stir and cook until these turns mushy.
- Add ginger and green chilli paste. Stir and cook until their raw smell disappears
- Now add the spice powders except the garam masala, salt as per taste, about 2 tbsp of warm water. Stir and mix well. Keep roasting the spices until oil start separating from them.
- Now add the fried Potatoes and green peas and roast them along with the spices for about 2 mins. Add a little water in between if the spices gets too dry.
- Add sugar as per taste, mix well and then add about 1 big cup of hot water. Stir well and bring it to a boil by increasing the flames.
- Once the gravy starts boiling, reduce the flames to medium low and cover and cook for about 5 to 7 mins.
- After the cooking time is over, remove cover and check consistency of the gravy. If there is too much fluid, increase the flames and evaporate away the excess water
- Add the paneer cubes, ghee, garam masala and gently mix them with the gravy.
- Switch off the flames, cover and let the curry rest for some time.
- Serve it hot with rice or pulao or roti or anything of your choice.