Dum aloo ( spicy potato curry)
Dum aloo is a thick gravy spicy potato curry which can be cooked in a various way using various spice mixture. I myself cook this dish in a number to ways using different spice mixture, depending upon the dish I plan to pair it with. When I plan to pair dum aloo with Bengali style plain steamed rice, I keep the gravy thin and most of the time don’t even use onion and garlic. When pair it with bengali style khichdi, I make it a thick gravy one without using onion and garlic. I pair dum aloo with pulao or veg biryani or bhuni khichdi, making it a thick gravy one, and do use onion and garlic along with other ingredients. Baby potato dum aloo have some other recipe.
Today I have shared the recipe of dum aloo, which I generally pair with roti and it is the easiest one yet yummy to taste.
Potatoes 5 medium
Onion 1 large chopped
Tomato 1 medium chopped
Green chilli 4 or 5 slit
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Garlic 3 or 4 cloves crushed
Whole cumin 1/2 tsp
Black cumin 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida 1/8th tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 + 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Black pepper powder 1 tsp
Garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
Chat masala powder 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Sugar a little, as per taste
Oil 2 + 1 tbsp
- Pressure cook the potatoes to 2 whistle at high flames and release the pressure. now peel off the potatoes and cut into halves.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadhai at medium high flames, once hot, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder in oil, mix and then add the potatoe pieces and fry them untill they turns golden colour. Once fried, remove the potatoes from the kadhai and keep aside
- Add the remaining oil in the same kadhai and wait for few seconds untill it gets heated. Once hot, add the cumin seeds, black cumin and sauté for few seconds. Then add the asafoetida and after stirring for few seconds, add in the chopped onion. Fry the onions untill it turns golden brown in colour
- then add the chopped tomatoes and stir and cook untill the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté untill it’s raw smell disappears
- then add the powder spices except garam masala and chat masala, along with a tbsp of water and sauté the mixture for about a minute or untill oil starts separating from the spices
- add salt, slit green chillies and the fried potato pieces and mix and roast the potatoes along with the spices for 2 to 3 minutes, add a tbsp or 2 or water in between the roasting process or when the spice gets too dry
- after 2 or 3 minutes add about 1/2 a cup of water, mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce the flames to minimum and cover and cook untill the potatoes gets well cooked
- once the potatoes are cooked well, check the salt and adjust it, add the sugar, garam masala powder, chat masala powder and mix well. Switch off the flames and allow the curry to rest for some time.
- dum aloo is ready to get served. Pair it with roti or puri or anything of your choice and enjoy.